Thursday, October 8, 2009

This Would Make Me Freak Out

Great run this morning. Plenty of sleep last night, and a song by Filter I have never heard before got my pace up quickly. I ended with an 8:01 pace, which is my best since I moved to the Creek Turnpike Trail. Of course, that :01 drives me crazy, but it will be good motivation.

Yesterday's run was cut short because I needed to take my car in to the shop. Six miles on what I believe are the "hilliest" sections of the Creek. It was very dark, which concerns me in sections like the "tree tunnel" between Sheridan and Yale. I've run into my share of bugs as a runner, but if, while running through all of those trees, I accidentally, unknowingly ran through a web that contained this: ...then yes, I probably would freak out a little. (This was making its home outside our front window earlier this week. Click on it. Enlarge the picture. Go ahead and check this thing out.) Fortunately, the only friend I ended up coming in contact was this little guy: ...who apparently was wanting a free ride. (It's a caterpillar on my leg, in case it's tough to make out.) A buddy of mine said it simply caught up with me and jumped on, which very well may be correct. Anyway, the point here being, that trail is ridiculously dark, and even greater than my concerns about woodland creatures is my concern about accidentally finding the big branch that's laying across the path. (I've found quite a few smaller branches.) At some points, the path is completely invisible, which leaves me simply hoping that each footfall will land on pavement rather than the dropoff that leads to the ponds on each side of the path. Guess I'd better get a flashlight.

Twenty miles this Saturday.

I will leave you with this video that Runner's World magazine posted on Facebook this morning. (Even if you're not a marathoner, I think you'll still like it.)

Last Minute Marathon Tips: shot with Nikon D90 from Mike Kobal on Vimeo.

10-8-09
Distance: 6.01 miles
Time: 48:10
Avg. Mile Pace: 8:01

10-7-09
Distance: 6. miles
Time: 52:31
Avg. Mile Pace: 8:45
Rabbit count: 0
Caterpillar count: 1

1 comment: