Monday, November 9, 2009

Runner's World is Awesome

As I mentioned in my last post, my Nikes were pretty much finished after last weekend's marathon in Springfield. So, following a couple of exchanges with Brian on Facebook, I went into Runner's World this past Wednesday for a replacement pair. Brian ran me through what is standard practice at Runner's World: a discussion about my feet and running goals, a good look at my feet and the way they hit the ground, and several pairs of potential running shoes. After taking a quick run around the corner of the building in four different shoes (not at the same time), I landed on a pair of Pearl Izumis, a shoe I have heard great things about. Now, Runner's World had already well exceeded the service standard found at most other shoe stores, but it didn't stop there. Thursday morning, I took the Pearls out, and after a very gentle mile or two, I realized that they were not going to work for me. After another Facebook exchange, I took the shoes back by the store Friday morning. I was provided with 3 more pairs to try, and after more serious scrutiny, I decided on a pretty sick pair of black and yellow New Balance 758's. I've run in them twice now, and they are great.

In addition to some pretty amazing in-store customer care, Runner's World provides hundreds of runners the impetus (and tangible resources) to reach their running goals, with their Saturday morning running groups. This past Saturday's mock marathon was pretty impressive, complete with race bibs, manned drink stations, snacks, etc.

I know that I would never have attempted a half marathon, let alone a full marathon, were it not for the Runner's World Saturday morning running groups. I was recently telling someone the story of my first ever long distance race (the 2008 Route 66 Half Marathon), explaining that the plan was conceived the day I went into Runner's World for a pair of shoes and walked out with a race group schedule. I was at Veteran's Park the very next Saturday, and I've been there ever since.

I just wanted to say thank you to Brian and Kathy for all they do, both in the store and out. They help lots of people do some pretty amazing things.

No comments:

Post a Comment