Tuesday, September 8, 2009

18 Miles of Hills

As was probably the case with many of my Runner's World companions, my Labor Day weekend was no holiday from running. Of course, in light of the fact that I was returning from being "off" from running for 2-3 weeks, I was happy to be doing it.

Saturday morning was my first morning back with the Runner's World group since August 8. The group was scheduled to run 18, but I only ran 9. This first half of the scheduled course was very hilly. My doctor told me that it was the downhills that tear up the abductor muscle, so I was a tad concerned. Fortunately, I never felt a thing for the entire course (although my legs were pretty sore Saturday afternoon!).

I had decided that I was going to start back on the Creek Turnpike trails this week since Saturday had gone so well, but I saw on Facebook Sunday evening that Robb was going to be running early Monday morning. I hated to pass up the opportunity, so at 6:00 on Labor Day, I was at Veteran's Park rather than my usual Monday morning spot. We had a great run through the first moderately hilly 9.25 miles of the Route 66 course. I love the run through the neighborhoods around Woodward Park, and even the trudge up the long incline on 15th headed toward Utica past all of the shops on Cherry Street is nice, despite the fact that it is a pretty mean way to begin the race. The loop out to Southwest Blvd. is not the most attractive, but it's just a small section of the overall course. It ended up being a great workout, and I was home in time to have breakfast with my family, which was a perfect finish to the morning.

I did take my usual Tuesday morning off today, although as the races approach, I may change that and add a run. Tomorrow morning, I'll be back on the Creek Turnpike Trail for 8 miles.

9-7-09
Distance: 9.24
Time: 1.34.13
Avg. Mile Pace: 10:10

9-5-09
Distance: 8.9
Time: 1.21.46
Avg. Mile Pace: 9:10

No comments:

Post a Comment