Thursday, May 7, 2009

Change of Scenery

The alarm went off at 5:30 this morning, and I woke up wondering why I was waking up to run on a Friday morning, as that's not the norm for me. I lay back down and continued to wonder what I had been thinking. Things were slowly coming together in my head: I ran two days ago...two days ago I was in Houston...I came home from Houston on a Wednesday, so yes, I was right to go back to bed because it's Friday and I will be running tomorrow morning...wait, that doesn't seem right...I left Houston on a Tuesday...that was two days ago...that would mean that today...is...Thursday? The mental questioning continues: what did I do last night? I watched TV. Yes, Thursday is TV night at the Posey house...so it must be Friday...but wait, it wasn't The Office we watched...it was Scrubs. That's Wednesday night. It is Thursday! Apparently the Just for Men I use to color my gray hair is seeping through the pores in my scalp and making its way to my brain. Or maybe it's just the gray hair. Anyway, I got myself back out of bed, changed into shorts, and prepared to drive out to the Creek Turnpike trail for my regular Thursday run.

As I put my shoes on and checked FaceBook, I commented in my status that it would surely be less humid running today than it was two days ago in Houston. Obviously, I had not yet looked outside.

The garage door opened, and I could barely see across the street because of the fog. I drove the mile or so to the Garnett entrance of the east-bound trail and began running. The trail was nothing less than marshy--mossy, murky water on both sides of the trail. That, combined with the foggy vapor pool I was soaking in made for a very sticky run.

It was nice to have a change of scenery, but I do think that next time, I will start my run a little farther down so that I get into the more rural section of the trail more quickly. I've also got to find a good entrance point to go west on the trail, as it looks like the western trail has some nice hills. I also need to remember my MP3 player next time. (Gray hair again I suppose.)

I am now "officially" moving from recovery runs to maintenance runs. Not much different. A slight increase in distance that will continue to climb gradually until marathon training. Maybe a little more intensity, although no real speed work.

5-7-09
Distance: 5 kilometers
Time: 26:11
Avg. Mile Pace: 8:16 (mi)

No comments:

Post a Comment