Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Continuing Down the Creek Turnpike Track

This morning, I decided to tack a little more onto my morning run. My intention was to take the Creek Turnpike track down to Yale--an out-and-back that would get me 8 miles for the day.

I ran out to Sheridan and crossed the street into new territory. As I progressed toward Yale, I realized that there were some alternate routes, and I even noticed some trails that had been cut through a wooded area. I ended up running north, not really knowing where it would lead me. I soon realized that I was running in Hunter Park. Weird. Not really where I wanted to end up, but it was nice. I circled around in the park and headed back.

Back at Sheridan, I realized that because of the track I chose, I was going to end up a quarter mile short, so I decided to leave the track and run south on Sheridan for an eighth of a mile and back. (I really wanted to hit a full 8 miles!) I headed back east on the track, and amazingly, I did not have to stop at Memorial. That, after not having to stop at Memorial on the way out. What luck!

Sure enough, after not having to stop at all for 7 miles, I hit the small intersection at Mingo and had to take about a 5 second pause while waiting for a few cars.

As was finishing the last mile, I started realizing how important music is to me while running. I've read a number of articles recently that encourage runners to turn the music off. I tried this at the OKC Marathon, and I'll never do that again. Even in distances of 8 miles (compared to 26.2), I find it valuable. It's kind of a constant, despite the terrain, my heart rate, my pace, etc.

Next time, I hope to hit the track that actually takes me to Yale.

Hmmm....trails.

5-20-09
Distance: 8.05
Time: 1:07:35
Avg. Mile Pace: 8:22

1 comment:

  1. After crossing that little bridge over the creek just west of Sheridan, instead of heading west and then north to Hunter Park just take that hard right that goes downhill and curves around and under the turnpike. This takes you west again, up a hill and into the woods toward Yale. There are some challenging hills between that point and Harvard if you are up for some hill training!

    ReplyDelete