Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Lesson Learned

As I mentioned in my previous post, this past Saturday's 18.4-mile run with the Runner's World group was pretty tough. And like a kid who got his arm stuck in a vending machine, I think I've learned my lesson. I've never been one to push myself athletically. I've run a half marathon and a few 5K's in the past, but even then, I can remember thinking to myself, "all I want to do is finish." (Yes, I said 5K.) But this past Saturday showed me that it's time for a fundamental shift in the way I think about athleticism.

The mantra that has been going through my head during my runs since this past Saturday is, "Do the hard work now." I've actively tried to improve my speed, and consequently, my lung capacity, realizing that if I don't improve strength and lung capacity now during my 5- and 7-mile runs, I'm going to be in bad shape on April 26 (and beyond).

Last Saturday was a very good lesson for me. I don't think I'm too late to see noticeable speed, strength, and endurance improvements in the next month and a half. But in order for that to happen, I'm going to have to make very intentional attempts to improve in the next 5-6 weeks. And I'm going to need a pretty mean drill sergeant in my head.

3-17-09
Distance: 7 miles
Time: 57:37 (PR)
Avg. Mile Pace: 8:07

No comments:

Post a Comment