Wednesday, April 8, 2009

An Awesome Cycle

My daughter got me up for my 7-mile run a little earlier than usual this morning, so at 5:30, running west, I found myself staring at a huge, full, orange moon dropping below the housetops. My first couple of miles take me west, so I was able to enjoy this sight almost up to the point to where the moon had completely disappeared. (I was kicking myself for not bringing my phone to take a picture.)

About 6 miles in, it was still a little too early to see the sun itself, but I could see its foreshadowing glow in the east. I don't really fit the "nature-lover" stereotype, but this was all pretty amazing. I thought to myself that I was glad that I was a runner, which, today, is what had enabled me to enjoy the opportunity to witness such things, and I actually felt sorry for those who were sleeping through this cycle--not in a self-righteous way, but very sincerely. It also made me realize how many similar experiences I have slept through myself in the past. I'm just glad I was able to catch it today.


Running time was inaccurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment