Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Back on the Horse

This morning, it was time to head out and "run" again after a 2-day hiatus. I really think it was simply an excuse for me to get out and listen to my MP3s again. I didn't use my MP3 player at the marathon. What the heck was I thinking??

My legs felt OK when I got out of bed this morning. But when I hit the pavement, I realized quickly that there was still some soreness. I suspect the extended soreness is due to the fact that I didn't stretch before or after the marathon Sunday, and then, I sat in a fetal position for the two-hour drive home immediately following the marathon. OK, not really a fetal position, but I was trying hard to rest and be comfortable and still. Another lesson learned.

After feeling the soreness, I decided that it would be best to combine running with walking at this point in my recovery, so I re-lived roughly 13 miles of this past Sunday's marathon, as I ran a short distance, then walked, ran a short distance, then walked, etc. etc. I felt no pain in my groin, nor on my left side--both sites of strain and cramping this past Sunday--and I was relieved that nothing serious seemed to be at hand.

I continued like this for 2 miles, just trying to be outside and moving for 30 minutes. Each time I went from walking to running, my legs felt better, like the soreness was falling off onto the street with each effort.

The exercise gave me a little more time to contemplate the marathon--what happened, what could be done to improve next time. I surmised that unfortunately, much of the issue was probably mental, which resulted in a sleepless night Saturday night. I say "unfortunately," because this problem is not something that can merely be practiced to perfection the way running hills or breathing properly can be. Still not sure how I'm going to resolve the problem.

Looking at the pace recorded by my Garmin, perhaps I could have slowed down more at the start. My average page in the beginning was at times under 9 m/m--a pace which does not lend itself to good negative splits that result in a 4:30ish finish which was my goal. Comfortable does not necessarily imply sustainable.

Oh yes, and next time, I will take a full Advil PM, rather than the measly half I took the night before OKC!

One final thought: this summer, I honestly hope to fully experience Oklahoma humidity during my training runs. It will actually be kind of tough to do so, since most of my runs occur at 5:30 AM, but I think that enduring in Oklahoma humidity throughout my training will make a November marathon--or a marathon in any other month--much more tolerable.

Hopefully much of the mental stuff will pass in November, as it will be my second marathon. And concern about beating my expectations (now, 5:00:51) are pretty minimal because, serious injury aside, it would actually be tough to have this past Sunday's experience again. (Famous last words.) And that's a good thing. While I'll always remember and, yes, treasure my first marathon experience, I don't really want to run that same race again.

4-29-09
Distance: 2.35 miles
Time: 29:57
Avg. Mile Pace: 12:43

4 comments:

  1. I am impressed you are out after only on 2 days following OKC. It took me 4 days following St.Louis is manage 3 miles and now a week and half out I still have some lingering aches and fatigue. Your first marathon is always a huge, always remember that and don't be too hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it was a pretty slow pace this morning, but thank you for your comment. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who experiences the post-marathon aches and pains days after the race is over! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, your soreness is normal after a marathon. Stretching might help a little, but only a little.

    Second, you are doing the right thing walking mixed with slow running. It may take you a couple of weeks or so before you feel totally normal, but that's okay. Don't try to force yourself into recover. Just go with what your body tells you.

    Third, once you go through another training season or two, it does get better. There will be a little less soreness and a little quicker recovery.

    Fourth, you are absolutely right about pacing. However, hardly anybody had negative splits on Sunday. I think Kathy, Jason, and Joye did, but they ran a relatively slow pace the whole way.

    Fifth, the humidity is usually worse at 5:30 in the morning, although the temperature may be lower. Last summer it actually felt better to me on our long runs after the sun came out and raised the temperature and lowered the humidity.

    Sixth, it is 90 percent mental. The other half is physical. (Yogi Berra said that.)

    Seventh, you will do better next time. I have no doubt you could have gone under 4:30 if you paced yourself right and if conditions weren't what they were.

    Eighth, the official training for the fall will start in June. Be there or be square.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thank you for the great information Dave. After running this morning in 95% humidity (no exaggeration), I truly believe #5! And I will definitely be there in June.

    ReplyDelete