Friday, April 24, 2009

End of Training

I ran this morning because my kids were up quite a bit the night before last (which means that Mommy and Daddy were also up), and since the race is on Sunday (so I won't be running on Saturday as I usually do), I figured I would go ahead and space the week's runs apart every other day.

So today was the last time I'll run before the marathon. In other words, the next time I don my running clothes, and my Asics touch a track, it will be to run 26.2 miles. I told my wife that I didn't want for this to end, that I wanted for it just to continue being my first marathon. I know that from here on out, each marathon I run will be unique and meaningful for different reasons, but my first will always be a special one.

While it would be exciting for my first marathon to be in Chicago or New York, or maybe even in Orlando or Las Vegas, I am kind of glad that my first one will be the OKC Memorial Marathon. I remember that day vividly, and it's good to know that my first marathon will honor the memory of that day.

I'm making a mental list of what I need to take with me tomorrow: Gu, red sunglasses lenses that make me look like Cyclops from the X-Men, running undies, oh, and my tennis shoes--an especially important item to remember.

I do plan to continue blogging, even though at first, this blog was designed simply to focus on preparations for my first marathon. But the next time I blog, it will be after having finally run 26.2 miles.

4-24-09
Distance: 3.88 miles
Time: 31.47
Avg. Mile Pace: 8:10

4-22-09
Distance: 3.86 miles
Time: 31.03
Avg. Mile Pace: 8:03

2 comments:

  1. Good luck in your race! I'll be cheering for you from the sidelines.

    Temperature will be a bit warmer than what you have been training in, and the humidity high, so don't be surprised if you end up a little slower than planned. Also, there will be close to 20 mph winds from the south. You will notice the wind in the last half of the race. Pace yourself so you have strength to press against that wind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input, Dave. Ugh, I was afraid it would be windy on Sunday. Oh well, just makes it that much easier for the Oxygen to get into my lungs!

    ReplyDelete