Monday, April 27, 2009

My First Marathon: Mixed Feelings

It looks like the excitement about the OKC Memorial Marathon that motivated me for months also ended up being my "downfall." Saturday night, I lay in bed in my hotel room, and I tossed and turned and thought and strategized and worried and wondered...for hours. I was able to doze off into very light, restless sleep after quite a while, only to wake up again at around 3:00. I dozed off again, this time into a little more restful sleep, and woke up to the alarm at 4:30. My roommate got up to take a shower. I slept until 5:00 when my phone alarm went off. In all, I got less than 4 hours of sleep. I woke up to the realization that I would be running longer that day than I had slept that night.

We went downstairs and ate some breakfast. Actually, we grabbed our breakfast and ate it while power-walking 10 blocks or so to the starting line. I was feeling horrible already.

I slipped into the line with the 4 hour pace group. My plan was to start with them, and then fade back as necessary. After lengthy pre-run proceedings, the horn went off, and my first marathon had begun.

I was feeling good, going out at a moderate rate. Nothing strenuous at all. I noticed that a few miles in, I was sweating profusely. The sweat was dripping off the back of my shorts onto my legs. That seemed unusual. But otherwise, I was still feeling good.

It was at about mile 7 that things changed. Suddenly, I was completely drained. It was strange to me how weak I felt and how discouraged I was. Throughout my training, I was usually able to run around 15 miles without feeling notably stretched. Now I realized that the time of feeling stretched had arrived, and I was going to have a tough 19 miles, much of which was uphill and against the wind. I was a little heartbroken.

About 13.1 miles in, I started noticing a pain in my groin on the right side. It wasn't a cramp. I had apparently lightly strained the muscle. In order to keep from pulling it, I stopped once I realized that the discomfort was not going away. At that point, I started walking through water stops.

Seems like the turn at Hefner Lake came around mile 15 or 16. The wind I had been wishing for previously was now a pretty decent detriment. The news said to expect 20-25 MPH winds Sunday morning. I believe they were pretty accurate, as the gusts were sometimes so hard, it felt as though I could have leaned on them and remained upright. At this point, I saw TATUR Dave. I yelled out to him with a pretty weak voice. I was surprised he heard. He was there with another from the Runner's World group. It was good to see familiar, friendly, encouraging faces. Dave's words from a few weeks back were going through my mind at that point: "You will want to quit..." He was right. But the thought that was implied in Dave's comment was "...but don't." I'm so glad I didn't

As we started the slow uphill ascent starting at about mile 20, I was feeling completely, unbelievably weak. I was trying to stay positive. I kept reassuring myself, but I was to the point to where I wasn't sure if I was running or walking more. I kept thinking about my training, and how 16 miles was relatively easy, how 18 miles was a little bit of a surprise, and how 22 was tough, but do-able, and how I felt like I could have gone ahead and run an additional 4.2 miles that day without too much trouble. I didn't understand how, in all of my training, I had never walked (unless it was to stick with my running group), and now, I was having to force myself to run even a sliver of each mile.

At mile 23, I had what I suppose was a cramp that started at the front inside of my left leg, and extended back to the left side of my glute. It was kind of the last straw, and if a medic had come by in a cart and offered me a ride, I'm not sure what I would have done! But the spectators were great, as was the race crew--very encouraging the entire time, even toward a hobbling participant like me.

I hit mile 25, and I couldn't believe that I was one-point-something miles away. My remaining mileage was in the ones! I knew I was going to have to save some strength in order to be able to run across the finish line. I walked a pretty decent section of that mile into the 26th mile. Then, I turned the corner and saw a glorious sight: the finish line. I was about 4 blocks from it. I walked two of the blocks, and then dredged up my last bit of strength to push me to the finish line at a slow run...a mere 53 seconds away from beating 5 hours. Again, disappointed, but glad to be done, and glad to have my first marathon under my belt.

I shared with my wife on the way home that one ray of hope was that at no time during the race did I ever think to myself, "I never want to do this again." On the contrary, I was contemplating my Wednesday run this week, my next training schedule, and my next marathon, all the way through the race.

Next on the list: the Tulsa Run and the Route 66 Full Marathon.

4-26-09
Distance: 26.2 miles
Time: 5:00:52

4 comments:

  1. Way to go in finishing a tough race! I told you the heat and wind would be tough and would slow your time. I forgot to mention the humidity. Given the conditions, you did very well. Now you need to be very serious about recovery. Keep drinking fluids, and rest as much as you can. Don't run hard or very long for a couple of weeks. Listen to your body. The worst thing for you would be to aggravate what sounds like a muscle strain. Up to the marathon you have been disciplined to put in the miles and to put in some fast miles. Now be disciplined enough to keep down the mileage and run them slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job!!! I can't even imagine what it was like to do 26.2 in the conditions we had. It's so exciting because there can be a "next one" to try to improve your time based on previous experiences....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to stick with it, Chris! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all three of you! Dave, I plan to take it easy for 26 days (starting yesterday), so it will be somewhere around my May 23 run that I start back into speed and distance. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete