Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Christmas in April

This morning's run was still kind of tough--still feeling the effects of Saturday's 22 combined with Monday's follow-up 5 I guess. But I did feel much better today than I did Monday. Just kind of fatigued in the calves, and I felt like I could not get a good rhythm.

This morning, I was thinking about my personal marathon preparation, and strangely, it reminded me a lot of Christmastime. Religious aspects aside, to me, the most exciting aspect of Christmas is the time leading up to the big day. Putting lights on the house, putting up the tree, even shopping in the busy malls all contribute to my positive concept of the "institution" of Christmas. Granted, not all aspects of the days leading up to December 25 are overly pleasant, but as a whole, it's a period of time that I really enjoy, perhaps even as much as the day itself.

I have had April 26 etched into my mental calendar for months now. And while it has not all been pleasant, there has been something about my training leading up to that day that has been exciting and meaningful, well beyond the fitness and health rewards. When I lay down at night, I think about the race. Every night. I can't wait for it to be here, but I also hate for it to be here, because once it arrives, it will then be over. Just like Christmas.

No doubt, much of my anticipation is due to the fact that this is my first marathon. It will be my first time to know what it feels like to run 26.2 miles. I contemplate my next endeavors often. I can definitely see a 50K in my future, and I suppose that I will always be able to try to make better finishing times and to visit new places. And just as I had favorite Christmases growing up, I'm sure I will have favorite marathons. But this one will always be special.

Ultimately, I have come to value this time much more than I ever expected.

4-15-09
Distance: 7 miles
Time: 59:17
Avg. Mile Pace: 8:22

No comments:

Post a Comment