Wednesday, August 5, 2009

One of Those Tough but Rewarding Runs

This morning, I decided to start my Wednesday 8-miler a little farther east. I began on 145th and ran east past County Line to--I don't know where--whatever is 4 miles east of 145th on the turnpike trail. My MP3 player was acting up before I even took off, so I left it in my car for a quiet run.

The section had several long hills--nothing devastating, but they were definitely challenging. I felt like I was hanging in well, and then I hit the hill just east of Elm on my return headed west about 7 miles into the run. It was tough, and I was already pretty tired, but I kept telling myself that it was good for me. It was around that time that a bug nearly flew into my eye. It landed just to the inside, near my nose, and as I freaked out trying to get it off of me, whatever it was bit me! (I don't think it was a sting, as there were no lasting effects aside from a small red mark.) I didn't know whether to be grossed out or insulted! I was worn out after the run (high temp and humidity didn't help anything), but it was one of those runs that just felt good, especially after it was over.

Eye bugs aside, I can foresee running this section again. It's pretty good hill practice, it has fewer street intersections to cross, and it's at a less-trafficked section of the turnpike, so it's a little quieter.

8-5-09
Distance: 8.06
Time: 1:10:24
Avg. Mile Pace: 8.43
Rabbit Count: 0 (but lots of horses)

No comments:

Post a Comment