Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Prognosis

After one X-ray and a good amount of firm prodding around on my leg and groin (which was a tad uncomfortable for a number of reasons), the doctor determined that the problem was with an abductor muscle. He said that it should not cause too much of a setback, so for now, all plans are still on for the three marathons. A "trainer" provided me with several pages, what look like color sheets, of very athletic looking illustrated people performing a series of stretches. I was instructed to do these stretches 2-3 times a day--and not just during my recovery time! This regimen is to be continued indefinitely in order to maintain flexibility, which, the PT explained was especially important "as you get up in age." (Um, I'm 38. Hardly think I'm getting up in age. Maybe I'm just fooling myself? Either way, something tells me I could kick his butt in a marathon.)

So for now, I'm looking for someone's "second best bike" so that I have something to help me keep momentum while I'm not running for the next two weeks.

It stinks, but it definitely could have been worse.


PS- "second-best bike" is a nod to Shakespeare's will, in which he leaves to his wife his "second-best bed." Literary history lesson for the day. Who knows, maybe it will win you some money on Jeopardy.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Chris, after you learn those stretches maybe you could lead us all in a group stretch after a run someday. Stretching really does help if you can be disciplined enough to do it regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the setback, we have all been there and it is not fun. Stay positive and know you will come back stronger and renewed to meet your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally got that allusion without your footnote, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good, Bobby. Yeah, I thought I used to be good about stretching, but found out I'm really not. Just a little extra time before running I guess. Thanks for the thoughts, Mary. That is my hope! And to the beautiful mother of my children, I'm not surprised. You're smart. (And you're an English teacher--not to take away from your smartness.)

    ReplyDelete