Monday, August 31, 2009

Back to Running

This morning's run was my first since August 16, two days previous to my doctor's instructions to take a couple of weeks off for what seemed to be a strained abductor.

I don't think I have ever run so gently or practiced such good form than I did this morning. For 5 miles, I held my breath, just waiting for that tug. I ran my old neighborhood course rather than the Creek Turnpike trail to avoid hills as much as possible. As I rounded the corner of my street and saw my house while simultaneously not feeling pain, I breathed a sigh of relief. I could feel where the infraction was, but had no pain there. The site seemed a little fatigued, but I would assume that's just a result of the fact that at one time recently, there was something wrong there.

Despite the lofty plans I've created in my head over the past couple of weeks, I will go ahead and take tomorrow off, continuing with my stretching exercises, and then, back on Wednesday and Thursday, as usual, still probably in my neighborhood for the rest of the week. I have not decided what I'm going to do Saturday. While I'd love to do the full 18 miles scheduled with the Runner's World group, that may not be the wisest decision. Maybe about half the course this Saturday, the full 12 the Saturday after, and back on track for 20 the week after that.

2 comments:

  1. I vote for not doing the full 18. It would be better to be a little under trained than to injure yourself again. Glad to hear you are back running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I think I'll take it easy this weekend. I'll at least have the opportunity to run with the group for part of the way--better than nothing at all, which could eventually end up being the case otherwise. Thanks Dave!

    ReplyDelete